Toll Free Numbers for Business
Your quick, convenient guide to toll free phone numbers
What is a toll free number?
Toll free numbers are phone lines that can allow callers to reach a business without being charged for the call. They have distinct dial-codes, usually starting with "800," "1800," or "0800."
There are many reasons why business should use virtual phone numbers. They're useful for any size business, from entrepreneurs to enterprises. Large companies can use virtual phone numbers to have more control in customizing how, when, and where calls are answered. This can be especially useful with enterprises that have multiple departments and office locations, for example.
Additionally, small businesses or entrepreneurs can find virtual phone numbers helpful as a way to have a business number and avoid giving their personal number to customers or clients. Having a virtual phone number a business number provides professionalism while also providing flexibility, letting the user recognize an incoming business call on their device, customize routing options, and more.
In short, the answer to this question is no. Here's why:
Toll free phone numbers are country-specific. Individual countries have their own set of coverage, restrictions, and accessibility rules associated with toll free numbers. Each country has its own dialing format for toll free numbers, too.
United States toll free numbers begin with 1800, and are followed by 7 digits. So, the standard format looks like this: 1-800-XXX-XXXX. France toll free numbers begin with 0800 followed by 6 digits, so France toll free number is formatted like this: 1-800-XXX-XXX. Toll free number formatting is a little different for almost every country.
Most toll free numbers can only be dialed for free from callers within their own country. If you are dialing a USA toll free number in the US, it is free to call. (Note: you may not be able to dial a US toll free number from abroad.) If you are able to call the number, you may be charged the international rate.
A toll free vanity number is any toll free phone line that has a memorable sequence of numbers, such as 1-800-NEW-KEYS or 1-855-555-5555. Because they are easy to remember, toll free vanity numbers are more effective than other toll free numbers when used in advertising campaigns or as a primary business phone line. Learn more about vanity numbers.
Yes, 833, 844, 855, 866, 877 and 888 numbers are all toll free numbers used by 24 countries in the North American Numbering Plan. Countries include the United States, Canada, Bermuda, and 17 nations in the Caribbean.
How much do toll free numbers cost?
The total cost of your toll free number is made up a monthly fee, inbound and outbound call charges, and any add-on fees your provider charges for additional business features.
When you set up a toll free phone number, you can purchase a pay-per-minute plan or a package plan. Pay-per-minute plans will get you the cheapest monthly price, but you will pay a call charge for every minute of talk time you use and your per-minute call rates will be much higher on average than if you choose a package plan. Package plans already include a certain amount of talk time in your monthly fee, so you pay a high subscription fee, but the cost of your average call charges will be much lower than a pay-per-minute plan.
The country and number type play a major factor in your monthly cost. For example, you can set up toll free numbers or local virtual numbers in countries like the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Singapore, and many more for somewhere between $5 - $12 per month, but a toll free number in India may cost between $30 and $70 per month.
Like your monthly pricing, your toll free number call charges will depend on the country the number is associated with and how many minutes of talk time you expect each month. For example, inbound calls toll free virtual number may cost you more if you have a low-cost plan with no included minutes. But if you expect a large number of calls to be made to the number and you set up a larger plan, your average call charge can be much lower.
There are a few other things to watch out for when comparing your toll free phone number pricing options.
- Setup fees: Charging setup fees for a virtual toll free number is becoming less common, but some providers still do so. If you want to use a provider that does charge setup fees, you should push to have those removed. If a toll free number provider thinks you will choose another VoIP service that does not charge setup fees, they are likely to drop those charges for you.
- Add-on features: If you want an advanced features included with your toll free number for business, you can expect to pay add-on fees for those. However, that includes workforce-management features like call queuing, extended call recording storage, SMS, live call-monitoring, etc. There are plenty of virtual number providers that include standard features like virtual attendant, time-based routing, voicemail-to-email, and many more with every VoIP service plan.
Get toll free services for business
At CallForwarding.com, we make telecom simple. Get information about activating toll free numbers in over 150 countries.
Toll free number porting
Virtual number porting, also known as number transfer, is a system that allows the end-users to keep their existing toll free number while switching from one provider to another.
Before porting your toll free number, it is important to be aware of the following items before starting the transfer process:
- Does the existing toll free provider charge early cancellation fees? If so, how much?
- Is the account in the good standing?
- What special features are active on the toll free phone number, and how do you de-activate them?
- Does the new provider offer the same features and are these automatically activated upon transfer?
Once these items are taken care of, the transfer can begin by getting your current toll free number released from your provider by providing appropriate documentation to the old provider, the new provider, and the regulatory body.
In the last 20 years, several countries have added regulations requiring carriers to allow toll free number porting to other services. In most cases, if your business phone number is associated with a country with a reasonably established telecom infrastructure, your number should be portable. To see if your international number is portable, you can start by checking AVOXI's International Phone Number Portability Guide, as they specialize in international number porting. If they cannot port your number, your next best option would be to check if any of your local providers can facilitate the number porting process for you.
Most countries have regulations in place that prohibit your existing provider from charging you a fee to port toll free numbers. And since other carriers are happy to have your business, you should have no trouble finding a provider that will port your toll free number for free. AVOXI, a partner of Callforwarding.com, will actually pay you up to $1,000 to port your existing business phone number to their network. Learn more about porting toll free phone numbers with AVOXI.
How to get a toll free number today
Callforwarding.com compares the top VoIP services around the world in order to connect our readers to the best provider for their needs. With this goal in mind, Callforwarding.com has partnered with AVOXI, one of the top providers of toll free phone numbers worldwide. The reasons we endorse AVOXI’s business phone services include:
- Customers can buy local and toll free phone numbers online and start taking calls within minutes
- Every customer has access to 24/7 phone support and receives a dedicated account manager
- Their affordable service plans come with several VoIP business features at no extra cost
- If you already have business phone numbers, you can earn up to $1,000 for every number you transfer to their network
- They do not charge setup fees and offer a risk-free cancellation policy for any virtual business number
For more details about their service plans, visit their dedicated service page: Virtual Phone Numbers
Buy toll free phone numbers online
- Use the widget to select your number type and click the green button
- You’ll be sent an online shopping cart where you can compare pricing plans and customize your account basics
- After submitting your information, your account login details will be sent to the email you provided
- That’s it! You’re ready to log in and start taking calls, customizing your call forwarding rules, and much more
Callforwarding.com is a growing online resource for questions about global telephony, VoIP services, cloud contact center software, and much more. In order to provide free content without running ads, Callforwarding.com does participate in select affiliate programs. We know our brand is only as good as our reputation, so we are careful to only recommend services we have used ourselves and truly believe are the best solutions for the problems we help our readers solve.