How does call forwarding work?
If you’re thinking about using a call forwarding service for your business, you might find yourself wondering, “how exactly is does call forwarding work?” We’ll give you the technical explanation first, but provide an example you’ll like better.
Call Forwarding in Three Steps
- With call forwarding, you choose a toll-free number or a local number in a remote location.
- Your distant customers call your toll free number or your local number near them.
- Your VoIP service provider forwards the customer call over the internet to your laptop, cell phone, or land line (desktop telephone).
Miguel’s Call Forwarding Story
We’ve found that sometimes it’s easier to explain things with a story, so let us introduce you to Miguel.
Miguel decides to open up a travel agency in Sao Paolo, Brazil. His business helps people in Brazil find the best vacation destinations around the world. The only problem? Miguel lives in Los Angeles, California. After a quick Google search, he realizes that by using a call forwarding service, he can provide his Brazilian customers with a local DID number and have the incoming calls ring to his local Los Angeles phone number.
Instead of having an on-site office, Miguel decides to hire three people in Los Angeles to work remotely. When his customers call his local Brazil number, the call is either sent to Miguel’s home office, cell phone, or one of his employee’s soft phones. The best part is that the call is completely free for his customers.
How to Set Up Call Forwarding
Do you still have questions about how call forwarding works? Not a problem, we’ll break it down into 5 simple steps.
- You live in Los Angeles and your customers live in San Paolo, Brazil.
- You purchase a Brazil local DID or toll free number.
- That number is placed on your website, advertisements, products, or wherever your customers will find it.
- When your customer calls that local or toll free number, your call forwarding service provider sends that call to any phone number you’d like. It doesn’t matter what country you live in.
- You can have incoming calls sent to a land line, cell phone, or computer (via soft phone), and your customers are never charged for the call.
If you still have questions about how call forwarding works, please send an email to email@example.com and we’d be happy to answer them for you.